Information on Mpox

Since early May 2022, Mpox (former "monkeypox") infections have been recorded around the world. The disease is transmitted through close contact. In most cases, it heals without problems. In some cases, however, complications can arise.

What do you need to know?

Please visit the website of the Federal Office of Public Health (FOPH) to obtain the most important information about the disease and to check the current situation. During the current outbreak in Switzerland, the disease has thus far been passed from person to person through close contact with an infected person.

  • The section of the population currently most affected is men who have sex with men (MSM). Sexual contact with an infected person increases the risk of infection. People who frequently change sexual partners are at increased risk of infection.
  • Anyone who has close physical contact with an infectious person can become infected.
  • Anyone who has symptoms suggestive of Mpox must avoid close physical contact with others and seek advice from healthcare professionals.

What do gay men and other men who have sex with men need to know?

All the information is compiled on Dr. Gay. The Dr. Gay information campaign run by the Swiss AIDS Federation on behalf of the Federal Office of Public Health is intended to help prevent further transmissions among men who have sex with men.

In case of symptoms or a suspected infection, it is important to consult a healthcare professional as soon as possible. If an infection is diagnosed at an early stage, you

  • can begin a course of treatment (painkillers, ointments, medication),
  • can protect others from infection.


Where can I get vaccinated in my canton? Find a list of all cantonal vaccination centres on Dr. Gay.

What do health professionals need to be aware of?

The FOPH has compiled the most important information and is updating it continuously. Many symptoms of Mpox are similar to those of syphilis or an HIV primo-infection. Therefore, it is possible that well-informed individuals with these symptoms may visit a Checkpoint, a specialist centre or an emergency department.