Outside Switzerland/Travel : Swiss AIDS Federation

Outside Switzerland/Travel

Some countries have travel restrictions for people with HIV. Find out about these restrictions before you travel and make sure you take enough medication with you. It is important for you to know what vaccinations you require and what health insurance you will have abroad.

Wings of a Swiss airplane over rice fields

Travel restrictions

There are still some countries imposing restrictions on the entry or residence of people with HIV. This is why you should find out about existing restrictions before you travel, at www.hivtravel.org.


Make sure you take enough medication with you for the whole duration of your trip. If you are travelling to a different time zone, discuss the timing of your medication with your doctor so that you can make sure you always take your drugs at the right time.


Before you travel find out what vaccinations you require. You can get this information from your doctor.

Health insurance abroad

If you get ill while abroad, the (Swiss) compulsory health insurance will usually meet the treatment costs up to double the amount they would cost in your canton of residence. Find out whether it is worth taking out additional travel health insurance.

What pension payments will I receive if I move abroad permanently?

  • Disability pension from the Swiss Federal Disability Insurance scheme: Disability pensions are paid abroad. The quarter pension is only paid out to people who have emigrated to EU or EFTA countries, however.
  • Disability pension of the pension scheme: Where mandatory pension cover is concerned, the same rules apply to pension fund disability pensions as apply to disability pension from the state disability insurance scheme. The pension fund's own rules apply to pension claims under extra-mandatory schemes (voluntary top-up pensions).

If you have any further questions, please contact the Central Compensation Office, COO, DI Office for People Living Abroad, OAIE, Avenue Edmond-Vaucher 18, Case postale 3100, 1211 Geneva 2, Tel. +41 22 795 91 11; www.zas.admin.ch

Comprehensive information can be found in the "Auslandreisen" section of our legal guidebook (Rechtratgeber (PDF).

Data protection, cookies and privacy

This website complies with Swiss data protection legislation. More information in our "Privacy Statement".

Data protection, cookies and privacy

This website complies with Swiss data protection legislation. Your privacy is important to us and we process your data in accordance with these regulations. You will find further information in our "Privacy Statement". By using our website, you consent to the processing of your data in accordance with these regulations.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies are essential for the proper functioning of our website. They enable you to navigate our website, access secure areas and use basic functions. Without these cookies, our website cannot function properly. They do not store any personally identifiable information and are usually defined as a response to your actions, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling out forms. You can set your browser to block these cookies, but some parts of our website may not work properly if you do.

Analytics cookies

Analytics cookies help us improve our website by collecting information about how it is used. They help us understand how visitors interact with our website, which pages are most popular and how they get to our website. This information is collected anonymously and in aggregate form, which means that it does not contain any personally identifiable information. We use this information to continually improve our website, its content and the user experience. If you prefer not to allow these cookies, you can disable them, but this may affect the quality of your experience on our website.

Integrated content

We use third-party services to provide features and display useful content on our website. For example, for integrated videos, we use YouTube, which sets cookies to analyse video traffic and improve your user experience. You can accept or reject these cookies.

Your cookie preferences have been saved.